Wednesday 21 May 2014

Theatre Review: Things We Do For Love (Richmond, & touring)




My review of Laurence Boswell's production of Alan Ayckbourn's Things We Do For Love is up at British Theatre Guide. You can read it here.


PS. I also composed this anti-Ayckbourn ditty after the show. To be sung to the tune of Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn", of course. Feel free to add an extra verse or two, Ayckbourn sceptics.


I thought I’d see a play brought to life
Actors on stage, quite a nice set, an audience inside.
I hoped to laugh and cry.
 
But this wasn’t a play I adored
It didn’t know, it didn’t care, what dramaturgy’s for
And I can’t take it anymore

There’s nothing there, the whole thing’s shite
Another wasted Monday night
That’s what’s going on…

Cos I can see this fucking play’s Ayckbourn.
I’m all out of faith
This is how I feel
Crap jokes, slapstick and farce
His writing’s just so poor
Illusion never changed
Into something real
I’m fast asleep cos I can see
This fucking play’s Ayckbourn
Fucking play’s Ayckbourn
Fucking play’s Ayckbourn

(repeat to fade)



No comments:

Post a Comment